Effective school leadership is a key contributor to the success of schools, teachers, and students alike. As the demands on school leaders continue to evolve, there is a pressing need to understand the specific effects of leader performance on school, teacher, and student success in order to strengthen leadership preparation programs and inform policymaking.
Supported by the Wallace Foundation for more than 15 years, EDC has contributed to the growing body of knowledge about what makes for effective principal preparation. Through the Quality Measures™ Center for Program Assessment and Technical Assistance, EDC works to strengthen partnerships and foster a collaborative culture of ongoing improvement among principal preparation programs, school districts, and state educational agencies in support of our shared commitment to ensuring an effective leader in every school.
Through the Quality Measures (QM) Center, EDC is engaged in the following activities:
- Support seven QM facilitators who are leading principal preparation program self-studies with program faculty, partner school districts, and state agencies
- Design metrics and protocols to assess program and partnership effectiveness
- Facilitate in-depth self-assessment by principal preparation program teams to identify programmatic strengths and areas for improvement using QM tools and protocols
- Collect, interpret, and share improvement data with clients
- Provide technical assistance to programs that use QM data to develop targeted improvement strategies and interventions
- Collaborate with state-level leaders to build and facilitate local learning communities of principal preparation program providers and their partner school districts and to identify lessons for state policy and practice
- Build and curate an online catalog of programs’ evidence of effective practices
- To date, over 70 principal preparation programs, 60 of which are university based, have participated in an EDC-facilitated QM self-study process at least once.
- Across 11 states, 50 school districts have participated in the QM self-study process.
- To date, four state education agencies have implemented learning cohorts of program providers to champion and sustain continuous program improvement statewide.
- The RAND report Using State-Level Policy Levers to Promote Principal Quality: Lessons from Seven States Partnering with Principal Preparation Programs and Districts highlights QM as a key resource for ongoing program improvement.
- The RAND report Launching a Redesign of University Principal Preparation Programs: Partners Collaborate for Change spotlights EDC’s QM role in supporting the program assessment and partnership building efforts of seven universities funded by the Wallace Foundation’s $47 million University Principal Preparation Initiative (UPPI).
- Episode 3 of the Wallace Foundation’s 2019 video series, Principal Preparation: A Roadmap for Reform, highlights how UPPI teams have used EDC’s QM to guide them in assessing program quality as part of their continuous improvement strategy.
- Testimonials from 35 participating principal preparation programs, involved in an EDC-facilitated professional learning community, are featured in this short EDC video case study: The Power of the Professional Learning Community.
- Quality Measures: Principal Preparation Program Self-Study Toolkit has registered a total of 9,499 downloads to date, and the Quality Measures: Partnership Effectiveness Continuum has registered a total of 19,637 downloads from around the world.