Through the Higher Education Center for Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Violence Prevention, EDC helps college and community leaders develop, implement, and evaluate programs and policies to reduce student problems related to alcohol and other drug use and interpersonal violence.
The Center seeks to:
- Produce enduring, large-scale changes that will make students’ social and cultural environment healthier and safer
- Support a comprehensive approach to prevention, grounded in environmental management strategies that address the institutional, community, and public policy factors related to these problems
- Provide colleges and universities with a process to tackle the alcohol and other drug abuse and violence issues that arise on campuses
- Encourage the development of a prevention infrastructure through: 1) Campus-and-community coalitions 2) Statewide prevention initiatives
- Provide training, technical assistance, publications, and a website to support these efforts.
[This project is inactive but is presented here for archival purposes.]
Directors: Tracy Downs , John Clapp
Funders: U.S. Department of Education, Office of Safe and Healthy Students