Best practices

From: Frances F. Jacobson (francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 14:02:56 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Frances F. Jacobson" <francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Best practices

It was fascinating to come back from ALA to this discussion. The
filtering/censorship is an issue near and dear to my heart. Here's the way
we are trying to deal with this issue. We have created a two-semester
required computer literacy course, with one semester taken during the 8th
grade year and one in the 9th grade year (we're 8th-12th grade). It's a
team taught course (FOUR of us in and out to teach everything from office
applications to information literacy skills -- including Usenet -- to
html). During the first year, we hit them hard with an ethics curriculum,
then reinforce it in the second year. You can read about it in an article
we wrote for the March 1998 issue of School Library Journal, currently on
their web site at: http://www.bookwire.com/SLJ/articles.article$7867. We
are firm believers in Teach 'em, Don't Block 'em (or
filtering-software-over-Frances's-dead-body). Our experience? Ethics
lessons (and I think we have a unique, scenario-based approach) certainly
doesn't turn kids into angels. But by dealing with the issues head on, we
have fabulous cover-all-bases discussions in class. It's not superficial
and it goes a lot farther than the acceptable use policy they all sign and
immediately forget about. We definitely still have problems, though hardly
ever of the pornography variety. Instead, ours tend to be behavior
problems -- people doing icky things to eachother on e-mail, hacking, etc.

In terms of the control issue, I like to think that informed students need
fewer "mechanical" controls. No one can pretend ignorance.

Cheers, Frances