Re: Best practices

From: Frances Jacobson (francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 21:38:09 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Frances Jacobson <francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Best practices

I love the image of the contract popping up every time a student fires up
browser software (or e-mail or any telecommunication software). I think
too many of us are forced by circumstance to pass out forms to parents and
students, who sign and then promptly forget what they've signed. Or, as
Judy describes, The Letter comes from a bureaucratic higher echelon and is
written in legalese. The solution Peter describes is an excellent,
in-your-face-at-the-appropriate-moment solution. Judy's student didn't
have the benefit of that solution and his parents were too naive to
instruct him themselves. What a potential nightmare parent-teacher
conference! I get chills thinking about it. Congratulations, Judy, on
what sounds like a diplomatic and educational (for all) recovery.

We have a fairly aggressive education program with our younger students
(grades 8 and 9), which keeps these ethical issues out in front and
breathes life into them beyond the dry AUP language. Unfortunately,
there's always a new incident that gives us fresh fodder for the
"hypothetical" scenarios we use in class. If you don't mind, Judy, I'll
steal your story!

Frances

Peter wrote:

...stuff deleted...
>Library: In the 54 library computers which are connected to the Internet
>and which are freely accessible to all students. We have little stickers
>on each monitor which stresses key points of the AUP (no chatting, porn,
>gaming, etc.) When they activate the Web browser a contract appears on the
>first screen again outlining briefly our AUP. See:
> http://dewey.chs.chico.k12.ca.us/agree.html

...stuff deleted...>