Re: More for the Newbies!

From: Jan Wood (jwoody@NETINS.NET)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 00:02:32 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Jan Wood <jwoody@NETINS.NET>
    Subject: Re: More for the Newbies!

    Leni,

    There are so many things I remember and would suggest, but here are a few.

    > 1. If I could do it again...
    > What do YOU know now that you wish you had known "then"? If you
    > relived your Fellows experience, what would you choose to do
    > differently?

    I would never put in the amount of time my partner and I did before the week
    at D.C. because we were too detailed and prepared for our unit and really
    had to simplify what we had in mind. Also, I truly felt I put in too much
    time online with the project before the workshop in D.C.

    > 2. Tales from the Institute....
    > What will you always remember (poignant, moving, silly, embarrassing,
    > hysterically funny...FESS UP!) Let's help break the ice for the new
    > inductees by sharing snippets of our memories!

    I will remember meeting Leni, a person I have admired and wanted to meet in
    person since doing some early exchange work with her students and my
    students in the writing process from the Electronic Schoolhouse in AOL. I
    also remember being selected by the performers to be picked on at a
    performance of Shakespeare Reduced at the Kennedy Center. We attended one
    evening, thinking it would be something by Shakespeare. Wrong! We never
    checked. It turned out to be three Second City types who were hilarious and
    just what we needed for relaxation.

    > 3. Wishes for success....
    > Heartfelt wishes to cheer, instill confidence and buoy spirits can go
    > a loooooong way! I'm sure you remember that feeling of, "What has
    > insignificant me gotten myself into???"

    Remember that the week of American Memory means you will figuratively be
    married to your partner, so get used to the idea. In fact, in some cases the
    partners actually are and/or were married.

    Make use of every moment you have. It is only eight days. When you have
    time, experience new restaurants, see a play, tour the night life, visit the
    sites at night, and so on. My partner, my wife, and I (Yes, my partner and I
    brought along my wife) easily walked over thirty miles during our stay in
    D.C. We also traveled everywhere by bus, subway, and mostly by foot.

    If the meals will be anything like we had in the summer of 1999, you had
    better go on a diet a month in advance. The food, as well as the selection
    of it, was superb. It would be great to know that in advance we would have
    had what meals we did provided to us.

    It is an experience I will never forget even though I am retiring from
    teaching at the high school level at the end of this school year. I can also
    honestly say that I had an awesome partner in Norma Thiese and that we had a
    great time.

    Mr. Jan R. Wood
    406 East Centre Street
    P.O. Box 284