Re: More for the Newbies!

From: Charlotte Bruce (canbruce@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 13:14:56 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Charlotte Bruce <canbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
    Subject: Re: More for the Newbies!

    >Leni:
    >
    >The questions were:
    >
    >1. If I could do it again...
    >What do YOU know now that you wish you had known "then"? If you
    >relived your Fellows experience, what would you choose to do
    >differently?

    I would spend more time getting to know the other Fellows instead of
    worrying so much about finding resources and finishing the project. Slow
    down, enjoy!

    Listening to the presenters and later hashing out what they talked about
    helped me focus much earlier. Absorbing the present during the institute
    rather than looking at the end result would have been more productive,
    relaxing, and saved me time in the end.

    >2. Tales from the Institute....
    >What will you always remember (poignant, moving, silly, embarrassing,
    >hysterically funny...FESS UP!) Let's help break the ice for the new
    >inductees by sharing snippets of our memories!

    Who could forget the "dance" led by Frances Jacobsen when we were all tired
    from sitting and not getting enough exercise! I can't remember the type of
    dance it was, but I can remember the startled looks on peoples' faces. Take
    time to walk around the city a bit before and after the sessions to stretch,
    to think, to see the wonderful surroundings.

    The group "international" dinner evening at Jaleo's was great fun also.
    Sharing tapas was quite an ice breaker!

    >3. Wishes for success....
    >Heartfelt wishes to cheer, instill confidence and buoy spirits can go
    >a loooooong way! I'm sure you remember that feeling of, "What has
    >insignificant me gotten myself into???"

    Enjoy the challenges, the people, the materials in American Memory and just
    think about how wonderful your lessons will be! There are lots of
    interesting folks who will help you find just what you need to meet your
    lesson plan goals.