Re: Teaching how to read old texts

From: Monica R. Edinger (edinger@DALTON.ORG)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 06:54:26 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Monica R. Edinger" <edinger@DALTON.ORG>
    Subject: Re: Teaching how to read old texts

    Pat,

    I'm so glad you mentioned the article because I've noticed that many upper
    grade history teachers expect kids to know how to read these texts. They
    focus mostly on content, forgetting that this is a very different kind of
    reading for them.

    I've had fun helping my fourth graders read Mourt's Relation, a 1622
    Pilgrim publication with the original nonconventional spelling (as part of
    our spring study of the Pilgrims). I'm writing an article on it for
    Scholastic's Instructor magazine for one of their fall issues (in time for
    Thanksgiving, of course!) While I've found facsimiles of the original I
    want to see it for real. New York Public has a copy so I hope to see it
    this summer. I just want to see what the real thing looks like.
    Interesting given our focus more and more on digital primary sources,
    isn't it. Sometimes you just need to tangible item, itself.

    Monica

    Monica Edinger
    The Dalton School
    New York NY