Re: those dreaded, Imbedded Historical texts

From: George West (WestG@ASMS1X.DSC.K12.AR.US)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 12:33:39 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: George West <WestG@ASMS1X.DSC.K12.AR.US>
    Subject: Re: those dreaded, Imbedded Historical texts

    Thanks for the tip on the article. We watch our 11th graders
    struggle with a similar challenge of translating George Washington's
    remarkably current but woefully run-on sentences in his Farewell
    Address. They do this as their first big analytical essay in the second
    nine weeks in American Studies and in Junior English Comp. They get
    to pick one of the threats to the "Unity of Gov't" GW foresees, then they use
    the "Letters of GW" collection at AmMem to show how Washington's
    thinking developed over time.

    They have trouble keeping track of the subject in the paragraph long
    sentences. We've learned to help them divide the Farewell Address
    into its section, double-underline subjects, and circle examples GW
    gives for each of the dangers (e.g.sectionalism, "party spirit", entangling
    alliances, etc ).

    They also have trouble using the Search engine on the AmMem site to
    find relevant letters to or from Washington. Part of the problem is
    that the relevant section is buried in the letter behind some earlier
    particulars. Part of the problem, though, does seem to be the AM
    search engine. It helps when the American Studies history teachers
    give them some historical names and events related to each of the
    dangers, e.g. Hamilton and Jefferson for party factions and French
    Revolution for entangling alliances.

    But once they find or luck into the related letters, the exercise does show
    students how to analyze single documents and also how to develop and
    support their thesis idea about the meaning and/or evolution of a
    writer's words. Plus they practice citing in text and doing the MLA
    thing religiously.

    If your're interested, we have the lesson packet for this unit. Let
    us know.

    George West
    Humanities Department
    Arkansas School for Math & Sciences