Re: slave narratives

From: Leni Donlan (ldonlan@HOME.COM)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 09:22:06 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Leni Donlan <ldonlan@HOME.COM>
    Subject: Re: slave narratives

    >The Orlando Sentinel newspaper's ran a front page Sunday paper story on the
    >slave narratives from the American Memory collection in yesterdays (April
    >29th) paper. It included photographs, excerpts from the narratives, quotes
    >from fellows and information about the collection and how to access it. It
    >continued onto page two. It was exciting to see American Memory featured and
    >introduced to a wide local audience and made me wonder about the
    >possibilities of teaming up with the newspaper to create a Newspaper in
    >Education supplement on the Learning page, the collection etc. Has anyone
    >ever tried this? Thoughts? ideas?
    >By the way, if you are interested in seeing the story go to
    >http://orlandosentinel.com and search the archives with key words "slave
    >narratives"
    >Laura Wakefield
    >97 Fellow
    >Kissimmee, Florida

    Laura,

    Thanks for sharing this article! I can well imagine how pleased you
    were to see it :-)))

    I LOVE the idea of Newspapers in Education as a supplement to the
    Learning Page! If this is of interest to the list, we can continue
    to discuss this idea here (so others can jump in)...or you can write
    to me privately and tell me more about your thinking! :-)

    Fellows, speak up now if you have some thoughts about this idea...

    Thanks!

    Leni