Re: New...Elections, the American Way!

From: Gail G. Petri (gpetri@RHNET.ORG)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 13:58:49 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Gail G. Petri" <gpetri@RHNET.ORG>
    Subject: Re: New...Elections, the American Way!

    Leni -
            I love the Election page! The timing is perfect. We just put up a page of
    election links on our district and I'll add this one. It is very user
    friendly and has great information.
            Doris and I (Doris teaches 5th grade) have begun our Women's Suffrage
    project and today the kids examined the documents I printed out from LC
    and they brainstormed the strategies that were used back then to try and
    sway opinions. Tonight for home learning the kids are going to examine
    newspapers, tv, etc. and see if they can come up with strategies
    politicians are using today.
            If any of you are interested in more women suffrage sites, these are
    places with good info.
            Thanks for the great site, Leni!
                    Gail Petri

    Sites for Mrs. Waud’s 5th Grade
    Women Suffrage Research

    Anthony Center for Women's Leadership Biographies of Suffragists - Stop
    here for short biographies of some of the most famous women suffragists.
            http://guinan.cc.rochester.edu/SBA/biographies.html
    By Popular Demand: “Votes for Women” Suffrage Pictures 1850 - 1920 - Go to
    this Library of Congress site for photos related to the women’s suffrage
    movement.
            http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vfwhtml/vfwhome.html
    Mid-Century Woman's Rights Movement: Selected Texts - You’ll find the
    complete text of a variety of women’s suffrage documents at this site.
            http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/uncletom/womanmov.html
    Upstate New York and the Women's Rights Movement - This site presents the
    text and selected images from a 1995 exhibition in the Department of Rare
    Books and Special Collections at the University of Rochester Library. The
    exhibition commemorated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the passage of
    the nineteenth amendment, which gave women the vote in 1920.
            http://128.151.244.128/rbk/women/women.htm
    Votes for Women: Art Gallery - Go here for an online tour of photos,
    documents and ephemera related to the women’s suffrage movement.
            http://www.huntington.org/vfw/artgal/index.html
    Votes for Women: National American Woman Suffrage Association Collection
    1848 - 1921 - Go to this Library of Congress site to find documents
    related to the suffrage movement.
            http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/naw/nawshome.html
    Western New York Suffragists: Winning the Vote- This Rochester site will
    be officially launched in October, 2000. Go to the address below to
    preview many area suffragist’s biographies.
            http://www.rrlc.org/suffrage/Alpha/index.html
    Woman Suffrage and the 19th Amendment - Images of 9 primary source
    documents related to the suffrage movement can be found here.
            http://www.nara.gov/education/teaching/woman/home.html
    Women’s Suffrage Comprehensive Site - You’ll find biographies of 78
    suffragists at this site.
            http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAwomen.htm
    Women’s Suffrage Timeline - This timeline presents the years when women
    were granted the rights to vote around the world.
            http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/suffrage.htm