Re: Newbie messages

From: Dawn Jaeger (djaeger@itctel.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 09:34:00 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Dawn Jaeger <djaeger@ITCTEL.COM>
    Subject: Re: Newbie messages

    Leni, It's fun to read all the messages, I posted a week back or so, but
    got an undeliverable message, so am trying again.

    > ================
    > 1. If I could do it again...
    > What do YOU know now that you wish you had known "then"? If you
    > relived your Fellows experience, what would you choose to do
    > differently?
    1. I definitely recommend coming early and/or staying longer in Washington.
    My partner and I did both and got some real sightseeing in and still felt we
    could get time to network. Wish I'd networked even more. I don't know if
    you are using the same hotel to put people up in, but if so the German
    restaurant just a few blocks away is great. Marla and I went twice.

    The big wish I'd known: Our lesson is connecting a book based in our
    community to the American memory collection, but we didn't think to bring
    the book!

    > 2. Tales from the Institute....
    > What will you always remember (poignant, moving, silly, embarrassing,
    > hysterically funny...FESS UP!) Let's help break the ice for the new
    > inductees by sharing snippets of our memories!

    2. My favorite memory memory, other than the insitute itself, is having
    Janet Reno at the next table when we went to the Chinese Restaurant on
    Dupont Circle.

    > 3. Wishes for success....
    > Heartfelt wishes to cheer, instill confidence and buoy spirits can go
    > a loooooong way! I'm sure you remember that feeling of, "What has
    > insignificant me gotten myself into???"

    Enjoy yourself, be prepared to do more than you think you need to. At the
    time you are enthused, make use of it. It's harder once you get back home
    to dig into the lesson. Especially when school starts. Bring a sweater for
    the air conditioning, the hotter DC is, the colder the hotel. Our lesson
    has changed a bit from the original proposal, especially since field testing
    it. The biggest difference is in that we are making it very much more
    focused, we found that the students really needed specific guidance as to
    what pictures to look at.

    Dawn Jaeger
    class of 1999