Re: Newbies

From: Mr. George West (WestG@ASMS1X.DSC.K12.AR.US)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 13:24:45 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Mr. George West" <WestG@ASMS1X.DSC.K12.AR.US>
    Subject: Re: Newbies

    1. To do again...
            Marta Brooks repeated some excellent advice from Randy Bass
    at the '98 Summer Institute: the best learning (and the rarest, in
    curricula driven by AP content objectives) will come from assignments
    where students must slow down, look longer and more closely at
    fewer images, and come up with a question for every observation.
            However, I found it hard to limit my attention to the
    handful of items I had pre-selected from one collection once I heard
    and saw the many new exciting items and ideas at the Institute.
    New folks: trust your initial hunch and track down the staffers
    and/or former Fellows who can help you. You WILL find someone who
    can quickly link your one simple lesson activity to related
    items/concepts--and give it the expandability you want it to have.

    2. Tales from ...
            Meeting the curators and seeing their fervor for the objects in
    their care was my high point. I get a rush now every time I come
    across another new collection online, knowing there's this love
    affair going on in the stacks between these images and one of the
    curators.

    3. Good People, Good Resources..
            Many talented minds and teacher-mentors. I'm a great big fan
    of Betty Brown, who set up an appointment outside Institute hours for
    me to look for recordings from Arkansas in the American Folklife
    Center at the LC. I found songs by the grandfather of one of my
    best friends who now has a copy! He had never heard his
    grandfather's voice. Once again, the power of primary sources....