Newbies

From: Marta Brooks (marta@BIGSKY.NET)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 16:41:55 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Marta Brooks <marta@BIGSKY.NET>
    Subject: Newbies

    1. To do it again...
            To repeat again what has been said...think small in terms of the lesson.
    Focus more on the integration of the collections and ways to slow students
    down and focus in...to see the wonder of the collections rather than a
    lesson that looks big with bells and whistles.
            Spend as much time as possible on-line with collections during the
    pre-institute tutorial and posting. Make use of the anonymous faces behind
    the technology before you go to the institute. You'll appreciate the core
    group of facilitators more once you get there and you'll have more
    knowledge and familiarity with the collections once in D.C.

    2. Tales from the institute...
            The luncheon in the Jefferson Building was the BEST! I enjoyed the
    twitterbation as we were told that morning that we might be seated next to
    our state senators or representatives. I also enjoyed the curators tour of
    the LOC. What a great opportunity to visit with Mr. Gawalt (sp?) regarding
    the George Washington papers, etc. WOW! To be so close to the history of
    our nation. On a lighter note...I usually hate games and mixers, but the
    Sunday evening "getting to know you" session was pretty good.

    3. Wishes for success...
            This is such an awesome opportunity. Enjoy! You will work with the finest
    people in the profession. Judy, Lois, Bill and more are some of the most
    interested and interesting people in education at this time. Enjoy your
    on-line mentors afterward and have fun CREATING! Think of the lesson you
    forge as a journey and enjoy the scenery...there's much fun to be gained in
    the learning!

    Marta Brooks