Re: favorite photos

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 13:15:40 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: Re: favorite photos

    Norma,

    I also have my favorite photos, some of which I've already shared with the group.

    Calvin Coolidge (a.k.a. Silent Cal) apparently smiling
    By Popular Demand: Portraits of the Presidents and First Ladies, 1789-Present
    <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/odmdhtml/preshome.html>
    Search for "coolidge baseball"

    The panoramic baseball team photo with the coach appearing twice
    Taking the Long View: Panoramic Photographs, 1851-1991
    <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pnhtml/pnhome.html>
    Search for "baseball washington 1913"

    The hand-colored photo of the 4.5-pound cigarette-holding potato, wearing glasses and a size 7 1/4 hat
    The Northern Great Plains, 1880-1920: Photographs from the Fred Hultstrand and F.A. Pazandak Photograph Collections
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award97/ndfahtml/ngphome.html
    Search for "big potato man"

    The Soapbox Auto Race series from July 1940 in Maryland
    America from the Great Depression to World War II: Black & White Photographs from the FSA and OWI, ca. 1935-1945
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html
    Search for "soapbox" and then use the "neighboring call numbers" button OR
    start here in the neighboring call number presentation:
    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/p?ammem/fsaall:LC-USF33-020621-M1:collection=fsa

    Of course, there are the women factory workers building planes for WW2
    America from the Great Depression to World War II: Color Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1939-1945
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsachtml/fsowhome.html
    Search for "women airplane."

    Then there are also tons of pairings (or grouping) of items that tell stories. For example, you might want to visit page 12 of Walt Whitman's Hospital Notebook, where you can read his account of a barn near Antietam that was being used as a hospital. Then go over to the Civil War photos and search for "antietam barn" to see a photograph of Smith's Barn (near Antietam) that was being used as a hospital. (Then look at the next image on the list to see the view behind the barn.) Or read Mrs. Lincoln's letter to her husband the president and then go to the Civil War photos and look for people and places mentioned in the letter to find an image of Lincoln meeting with General McClellan at Antietam.

    Poet at Work: Recovered Notebooks from the Thomas Biggs Harned Walt Whitman Collection
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wwhome.html
    Choose notebook & butterfly; select "hospital notebook;" turn to page 12.

    Selected Civil War Photographs
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwphome.html

    Words and Deeds in American History: Selected Documents Celebrating the Manuscript Division's First 100 Years
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mcchtml/corhome.html
    Search for "Mary Todd Lincoln"

    Later,

    Betty