Re: primary sources definition

From: Laura Mitchell (Mitchell@LutherInst.org)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 09:41:42 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Laura Mitchell <Mitchell@LUTHERINST.ORG>
Subject: Re: primary sources definition

Monica

Re: definitions for primary sources. A good place to start with students is
to define a primary source as an eyewitness account. It's a record of what
someone actually saw, heard, tasted, smelled, felt or somehow experienced
firsthand. A secondary source is someone else's interpretation of those
eyewitness accounts.

These definitions are straightforward, and can lead easily into two key
discussions: the reliability of primary sources (do we trust the account of
what the person says he/she saw, heard, etc.) and the gray area between
primary and secondary sources, e.g., in what way is a 19th century newspaper
article a primary source? in what ways is it a secondary source?

I've found that this approach effectively helps students tease out the
nuances.

Hope this helps,
Laura Mitchell