Acceptable Use Policies

From: Ken Stewart (bvlmc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 08:40:55 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Ken Stewart <bvlmc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Acceptable Use Policies

Hey Ya'll!
    We have had direct Internet access in the Library Media Center
(approx. 27 stations - if all are working...) for about 4 years now.
All classrooms are on-line as well as the labs. We have approximately
1600 students. We have implemented (and maintained) an open access
policy for communication technologies throughout the district. We do
not have, nor have we ever had, any type of filtering software.
    Because of the seemingly growing movement of states to offer
technology funds to school districts that DO have some type of filter,
we have again begun to set-up our defenses for what seems to be an
upcoming "debate." After all, the best defense is a strong offense!
    Granted, we've had those instances of students accessing
inappropriate materials - but in our school, that is the exception. We
know who is on what computer (in the LMC) at all times (we do this
primarily by checking out the mice); when we catch a student going to an
inappropriate site, or sending an inappropriate email (it goes out with
our name on it), the consequence is swift. And, word spreads - we make
sure of that.
    When beginning a new class on a research topic, we always
re-emphasize the open nature of our system and how it is the
responsibility of the students to maintain that. And, so far so good!
In addition, a copy of the acceptable use policy is included in all
enrollment packets for students at the beginning of the school year.
    On a side note, our lawyers inform us that if we were to go to a
filtering program, this directly implies to parents that we are
monitoring all computer access at all times. This, as we all know, is
an impossibility. And, this type of implication opens up another can of
worms as demonstrated by lawsuits involving other districts with
filtering programs.
    We post our Acceptable Use Policy on our LMC website. Go to:

http://206.65.103.2/bvhs/dept/lmc

then, scroll down to the bottom.
    As always, comments are most welcomed!
Ken Stewart