Re: What gives? Classroom Connect

From: Frances F. Jacobson (francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 10:08:36 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Frances F. Jacobson" <francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Re: What gives? Classroom Connect

Since I started this whole thread, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that
I've known about the "Eyes of the Nation" product for a long time but
wasn't thinking about it when I chimed in about Classroom Connect. It
turns out that ArtLook, the company that produces the CD, is located in my
town, Champaign-Urbana. Almost a year ago the CEO invited my AM partner
and me in for an exploratory talk about the product's possible
transformation into a more education-oriented tool. "Eyes of the Nation"
should do exactly what Melody says --provide a good backup when the
Internet is down. The producers worked directly with the Library of
Congress, selecting materials to be digitized, getting curators to write
accompanying commentary, etc. The result is lovely, but from our
perspective, functions more as a coffee table book or museum tour than a
structured teaching tool. As I recall, there's no real searching function
-- it's designed for the user to sit and watch. But in the hands of a
teacher, I think it could be a valuable resource.

More proof, the more the merrier.

Frances