Search Our Site (not just the collections)

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 18:35:05 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Search Our Site (not just the collections)

Fellows,

Nobody complained, but I noticed a little problem in searching those
"static" American Memory pages through the Library's "search our site" page
<http://lcweb.loc.gov/harvest/query-lc.html> linked to the Library's home
page <http://www.loc.gov/>.

Well, it's been fixed.

To see it in action, go to <http://lcweb.loc.gov/harvest/query-lc.html> and
search for:

    "time line" AND revolution

You'll get links to a number of time lines related to the [American]
Revolution on the LC website, plus a few pages with links to these time lines.

Be careful when you use this tool....
  1. It only searches "static" web pages -- so in American Memory expect
to find collection home pages, special presentations, index lists -- not
collection items. Learning Pages are also indexed here.
  2. It uses a different search engine from American Memory & THOMAS. The
default Boolean Operator is OR. Unlike American Memory, if you want a
phrase, you have to ask for it -- use quotes. If you want "AND" say so --
in all caps.

Good day!

Betty

   Elizabeth L. Brown, M.L.S.
   National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/VC(1330)
   Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-1300
   ebro@loc.gov telephone: 202/707-2235

   Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
   http://memory.loc.gov/