An Invitation to visit ZEUM in San Francisco

From: Kathleen Ferenz (kferenz@SFSU.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 00:20:56 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Kathleen Ferenz <kferenz@SFSU.EDU>
    Subject: An Invitation to visit ZEUM in San Francisco

    and Friends,

    This e-mail is a special invitation to teachers and librarians to be
    our guests at the final BANDL, Bay Area National Digital Library
    Project's <bold>Digital Curriculum Expo at ZEUM in San
    Francisco</bold>. This an unique opportunity for you to meet with a
    core group of teachers and school librarians who have documented how
    they have made use of high quality materials from Internet based
    digital libraries with students. Join us and experience first-hand the
    results of over three years of work and engage in professional dialogue
    with guest, Larry Cuban.

    <center>Monday, June 18, 2001

    <bold>Bay Area National Digital Library Project

    California Heritage Project

    host a

    "Digital Curriculum Expo"

    and professional dialogue with Dr. Larry Cuban

    ZEUM

    San Francisco

    </bold>9:00am - 4:00pm

    </center>

    The Bay Area National Digital Library Project is a research and
    development project sponsored by the Bay Area School Reform
    Collaborative (BASRC) and funded by the William and Flora Hewlett
    Foundation. Several years ago, BASRC convened a regional task group to
    understand how schools could learn to make better use of technology to
    support their reform work. The Task Force began by noting the large gap
    between high expectations for what technology might contribute and the
    actual application in educational settings. BANDL Schools have worked
    with this challenge for three years and would like to share their work
    in progress with the region.

    In collaboration with the California Heritage Project from the
    University of California at Berkeley, we will host our collaborative
    event at ZEUM Children's Technology and Art Center in San Francisco.
    For those of you planning on attending the ALA Conference at the
    Moscone Center, our event is at the same time. We are a short walk
    across the sky bridge.

    Admission is by invitation, please RSVP with this e-mail to kferenz@
    sfsu.edu or to kferenz@basrc.org before June 10th. Space is limited.
    For additional information visit: http://basrc.org/bandl/

    Below is our detailed agenda.

    Regards,

    Kathleen Ferenz

    (97' Fellow with Leni Donlan)

    <center>

    </center>Agenda

    9:00am - 10:00am

     ZEUM Main Theater

            Welcome and Overview

            Formal presentation of project research by

                  Kathleen Ferenz

                  BANDL Project Director

                  Lynn Jones

                  California Heritage Project Director

            Insights from research on Curriculum, Technology

            and Teacher Collaboration

                  Dr. Larry Cuban

                  Stanford University

     10:00am - 11:00am

     ZEUM Exhibit Gallery

            Gallery Walk

            Showcase of Best Practices

            Participants walk the exhibit gallery and meet

            presenters, share curriculum maps, student work,

            and discuss results of collaboration with teachers

            and librarians.

            Jazz students from Pinole Valley High will provide

            music.

     11:00am-11:45am

     ZEUM Exhibit Gallery

            Professional Dialogue

            with Larry Cuban

            Sherrin Bennett from Interactive Learning will

            facilitate a professional dialogue with Larry Cuban

            and create a large scale wall graphic of our

            conversation.

                           11:45am-12:30pm

                           Lunch is provided

     12:30pm-1:15pm

     ZEUM Exhibit Gallery

     Breakout sessions for:

            Small Group Inquiries with Teams

            5-7 per group

            Select a presentation from the morning Gallery Walk.

            Learn and discuss in small groups with teams and learn how

            they collaborated and see what students accomplished.

            View and discuss student work, curriculum maps,

            and web resources.Some teams will have students

            to this event.

     2:00pm-2:45pm

            Content Presentations

     #1 Location: Learning Studio

            Digital Pathfinders

            by BANDLLnet Librarians & Rose Falenga from the

            Exploratorium

     #2 Location: Clamation Studio

            Curriculum Development and Coaching Tools

            by Interactive Learning Associates

            Sherrin Bennett and Carolyn Janson

     #3 Location: ZEUM Theater

                  American Memory Collection

                  California Heritage Collection

                  by Kathleen Ferenz and Lynn Jones

     3:00pm-4:00pm

     ZEUM Exhibit Gallery

            Reception</bigger></fontfamily>
     **************

     BANDL Project Director

     Bay Area National Digital Library Project

    181 Fremont Street

    San Francisco, CA 94105

    http://basrc.org/bandl/

    kferenz@basrc.org