How Do You Live Race?

From: Howard Lurie (Howard_Lurie@FACING.ORG)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 08:56:16 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Howard Lurie <Howard_Lurie@FACING.ORG>
    Subject: How Do You Live Race?

    Passed on by former AM Fellow, Howard Lurie.....

    ---------------

    Dear friend,

    Facing History and Ourselves is pleased to announce the launch of a new
    online forum, "How Race is Lived in America". Building on the unique
    online experience created by our recent online project,
    "Inclusion/Exclusion: A Case Study of Ostracism", we invite you and your
    students to join us in this new, exciting experience.

    Based on the groundbreaking, front page series in the New York Times, this
    forum will provide teachers, students, parents, and community members a
    unique opportunity to engage in a deep discussion of race and identity in
    American society. The forum will feature three key articles from the Times
    series, complimented by links to Facing History and New York Times
    resources. Most importantly, there will be opportunities for you and your
    students to post comments and respond to other teachers or students from
    across North America and Europe regarding the core issues raised by the
    articles.

    The forum will start January 16th, and will continue until the end of
    February. Facing History Program Associates from across the United States
    will be moderating the forum, and introducing new ideas and resources as it
    grows.

    For those of you in the greater New York area, this online forum is being
    launched in conjunction with a panel discussion featuring Pulitzer Prize
    winning author Anthony Lewis and Times writers who contributed to "How Race
    is Lived in America". The panel discussion will be held February 6th,
    2001, 8:00 pm at the 92nd Street Y, 1395 Lexington Ave., New York City.
    Please call (212) 415-5500 for more information about this panel
    discussion.

    If you'd like to join us on the Web for the online forum, go to
    www.facinghistory.org and click on the link under Facing Current Issues.

    If you would like additional assistance, please feel free to contact me
    via email or voice.

    We look forward to hearing from you and your students!

    Howard Lurie
    Associate Program Director for Technology
    Facing History and Ourselves National Foundation
    16 Hurd Rd.
    Brookline, Mass. 02445

    (617) 735-1685