Supreme Court

From: Judith K. Graves (jgrav@loc.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 11:07:57 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Judith K. Graves" <jgrav@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: Supreme Court

    Hi All,
    Just a note on what's happening a couple of blocks from the Library:

    I walked by the Supreme Court on my way from Union Station to the Madison
    Building a little before 8 am. There are about 6 large white media vans,
    with rooftop satellite dishes, all ready to beam their reports. A colleage
    said there were about a hundred photographers with their tripods on the
    sidewalk, ready to go. Everything is peaceful.

    I walked closer to the Capitol and steered clear of the crowd, but so had
    some other newsgroups. Three different groups consisting of camera
    operators and reporters had set up their filming area on the Capitol
    grounds - poised and ready to broadcast. Democracy at work!

    You can see/hear this on the web at http://www.cspan.org.

    I prepared the URLs below for a friend, but y'all might have already found
    these references on the Electoral College:

    Presidential Elections and the Electoral College:
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lwec.html

    A Century of Lawmaking:
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amlaw/lawhome.html

    Go to the search page, select Continental Congress, and search on
    'electors' to get discussion in the Federal Convention of 1787. This is
    raw debate converage, ie, minutes of debates, not the formal language of
    the finished document.

    First draft of the Constitution from another collection, Documents of the
    Continental Congress and Constitutional Convention:
    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/bdsbib:@field(NUMBER+@band(bdsdc
    c++c01a1))
    (click on page image to get a .tiff image of the actual broadside.)

    Go here for 8 documents that show the progression in revision:
    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/bdsbib:we-the-people

    The constitution as ratified:
    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/bdsbib:@field(NUMBER+@band(bdsdc
    c++c08-1))

    Come here on THOMAS, the congressional web site, to search all historical
    documents, including the Constitution and the Federalist Papers.
    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/const/mdbquery.html

    Enjoy,
    Judy
    Judith K. Graves