Re: NCSS next yr&LOC and science!

From: Nelson, Dora (dnelson@CDSCHOOL.ORG)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:00:15 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Nelson, Dora" <dnelson@CDSCHOOL.ORG>
    Subject: Re: NCSS next yr&LOC and science!

    Hi,

    This is my first posting. I saw the request for AM science integration --

    I teach earth science, math and computer in a middle school. Last spring my
    science partner and I did a project on the geology of national parks -- the
    natural history, geologic history, and social history of the US national
    parks. Basically, each group of students researches a national park and
    gives a multimedia presentation. They must include the geologic formation of
    the park, important plant and animal species, weather patterns, topology and
    topography, history, map, travel "brochure" of their own design, and a model
    depicting how the park was formed. We used maps from the AAM collection
    (Mapping the National Parks) as well as paintings, conservation movement
    collection items, and various items from the environmental photo collection
    -- there is just so much material to work with! We worked with the social
    studies/language arts team to incorporate the historical perspective and
    development of the national park service with the science components. I
    worked on developing this project further this summer during the Washington
    summer institute, and we are just starting to work on this with this year's
    student group. I hope to have it "web-ready" by Feb./early March. Another
    way that I have used AAM is science is to do a short unit on inventions and
    technology -- the early Westinghouse factory films are great for generation
    discussions about technology and industrialization (nice social studies
    tie-in).

    I would love to hear ideas from others.

    Dora Nelson