Re: Great History Site

From: gailhd (gailhd@JPS.NET)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:37:09 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: gailhd <gailhd@JPS.NET>
    Subject: Re: Great History Site

    Monica,

     Thanks for sending us this site. I've just finished reading "Into the Breach:
    Using Research and Theory to Shape History Instruction" a wonderful article by
    Robert Bain on teaching our students to think like historians. The Do History site
    complements Bain's strategies (which he credits to Winneburg's studies). My
    students just finished writing "The History of Yesterday," their individual
    perspectives on some events they witnessed or participated in during a particular
    lunch recess. As they listen to me trying to piece together what when on during a
    50 minute period when I was not with them, they have shared some impressive
    observations and raised good questions about the validity of textbooks. Keep those
    great sites coming!