Re: tips for Newbies

From: Chad C. Fairey (cfairey@FC.FCPS.K12.VA.US)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 20:24:33 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Chad C. Fairey" <cfairey@FC.FCPS.K12.VA.US>
    Subject: Re: tips for Newbies

    AMFELLOWS@loc.gov writes:

    >Hmmm,
    >I echo the advice of my friends and colleagues, and many have become good
    >friends.
    >
    >If I were to do it again, I'd think way smaller for two reasons.
    >One--you'll be able to focus and refine more easily.
    >Two--as I am seeing in my work with teachers, I am more often looking for
    >great one-or two-period lessons, than I am full-blown units. You will do
    >so many teachers and librarians a big favor by preparing truly solid, doable
    >and not necessarily awe-inspiring, products.
    >
    >Have a wonderful time!
    >
    >Joyce
    >Joyce Kasman Valenza, Librarian Springfield Township High School
    >jvalenza@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us joyce.valenza@phillynews.com
    >American Memory Fellow: Milken National Educator 97/98
    >Phone: (215) 233-6058 Fax: (215) 836-5237
    >Philadelphia Inquirer tech.k12 mciu.org/~spjvweb/inqlinks.html
    >http://mciu.org/~spjvweb/jvweb.html
    >http://mciu.org/~spjvweb

    I must agree with Joyce on this -- think small! When surrounded by nationally-renowned educators, top-notch
    facilitators from the CCT, university minds, not to mention the grandeur of the Library of Congress, this is a tough task.
    The natural flow is toward the monumental, the magnificent, the awe-inspiring. What can I make that will be truly
    influential? Progressive? New? We wrestled with these questions throughout the Institute, and the constant
    (and priceless) message from the AMF staff was "slow it down!" Once I got back to my school, and worked with
    teachers around the county, I found that a truly magnificent lesson was a "doable" one. Teachers are very turned
    off by units that take "Approximately 8-10 class periods." They are much more likely to tackle a set of lessons, each
    of which are designed for a class period or two. If you field-test the unit successfully as an eight or ten lesson unit, then
    provide some guidelines for tying the lessons together -- but present them in small, bite-sized chunks. We had to
    whittle our own lesson down this year and have wrestled with how we can shave it down even further to reflect
    classroom realities. This is not easy -- but it is why you are there!

    Most of all, enjoy yourself and soak in all of the wisdom. In short, look forward to an awesome week.

    Cheers,

    Chad C. Fairey
    Technology Coordinator
    Glasgow Middle School