Help needed: Plessy v. Ferguson sources

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 18:06:08 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: Help needed: Plessy v. Ferguson sources

    Hi gang,

    I know that some of you have taught the Plessy v. Ferguson case in a variety of ways.

    My question:

    In your online travels, have any of YOU found contemporary newspaper or magazine articles for this case on the Internet? I'm especially interested in anything from the Afro-American presses of the day, but will be happy with anything reliable. If yes, please post the URLs to the list.

    Background:

    I have an Ohio eighth grader who wrote to our online reference service who has a "very very serious" need for primary sources on the case. Specifically she wants a contemporary newspaper account. Of course, I'm sending her to her local public library for the NY Times or other prominent newspaper on microfilm, but I realize that many public libraries don't have collections that go back to 1896. I'll also send her to the case documents online (at either Civnet or Cornell).

    And although she didn't ask for it, I'll point her to Today in History for information <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/may18.html> and to American Memory, where there are items related to "Jim Crow" and the "Black Laws." Unfortunately, I have found no specific newspaper, magazines, or pamphlet items on the Plessy case in American Memory.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Betty

    P.S. there was a thread here before looking for a photograph of Plessy. Three "Plessy" books at LC (and currently on my desk) seem to agree that no image of Plessy survives.

        Elizabeth L. Brown
        Automated Reference Services Librarian
        National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/LC(1330)
        Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-1330
        ebro@loc.gov telephone: 202/707-2235

        Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
        http://memory.loc.gov/