Re: Cotton Gin

From: Bill Tally (BTally@EDC.ORG)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 13:40:05 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Bill Tally <BTally@EDC.ORG>
Subject: Re: Cotton Gin

Hi Agnes and everyone,

A colleague who has worked on a history-of-technology curriculum tells me that
the term "cotton gin" often refers to an entire facility for ginning cotton. The
Walker Evans photo in the Learning Page activity thus shows a structure that is
a 'detail of a cotton gin.'

We're used to thinking of 'cotton gin' as referring to the patent model
registered by Eli Whitney. But I just entered 'cotton gin' into the American
Memory search engine, and found lots of pictures of structures of all kinds -
from shacks to factories - all of which were called cotton gins. It seems that
as agriculture becomes more and more industrialized (a process the Whitney gin
helped inaugurate) the structure that's called a 'gin' keeps getting bigger and
bigger. Makes sense, right? Just one more indication of the way that archives
help to enrich our frequently box-like way of thinking about history.

By the way, you can see facinating images and films of early cotton gin models
and some nifty student and teacher activities to boot (though this is shameless
self-promotion, since we at CCT helped create them) on the Smithsonian Lemelson
Center's website at:

http://www.si.edu/lemelson/centerpieces/whole_cloth/u2ei/u2materials/u2main.html

All the best,

Bill Tally