Re: A digital library to anticipate

From: Ron Stoloff (rstoloff@MAIL.PHILA.K12.PA.US)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 16:53:35 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Ron Stoloff <rstoloff@MAIL.PHILA.K12.PA.US>
Subject: Re: A digital library to anticipate

At 11:00 AM 9/29/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>I want to report on a talk I went to a couple of nights ago given by Sam
>Gustman, Executive Director of Technology of the Survivors of the Shoah
>Visual History Foundation. This project was founded by Steven Spielberg
>after the completion of Shindler's List. Over 50,000 Holocaust survivors
>have been interviewed on videotape, producing a archive of more than
>100,000 hours of digitized testimony plus pictures and other artifacts
>provided by the interviewees. Gustman was here to visit with folks at the
>National Center for Supercomputing Applications, seeking help in the
>management of such an enormous database (terabytes and terabytes...). Part
>of its size has to do with the extensive indexing. They've had catalogers
>indexing "phrases" of data -- amounting to an average of every three
>minutes of tape time. The searching capability should be incredible.

...Snip!

 Another question came up about
>"cataloger trauma" -- how the catalogers are dealing with spending day
>after day indexing this difficult material. I'm barely touching on things
>here, but you can imagine the variety of issues that were discussed.

....Snip!
>Cheers, Frances
>
>Frances F. Jacobson

I'd like to comment on the 'cataloger trauma' you mentioned:
My kids have often expressed the wonder in how I can teach about slavery
and the holocaust - especially after they discover that I do it *every*
year for 31 years - and how I can still smile after teaching such a 'down'
topic.

I tell them its our generation's duty to teach *their* generation so that
whenever someone makes the 'get rid of them!' comment a bell should go off
in their heads as they ask, "Where have I heard that before?"

It seems to work....

Ron Stoloff

If the gods had intended Man to fly, they wouldn't have given us
railroads.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
{ Check out these web sites: }
{ }
{ Edison/Fareira's New Oral History Web site: }
{ http://members.xoom.com/b_stoloff/oral [NO WWW] }
{ In the Library of Congress, see: }
{ Immigration/Migration - under construction! }
{ http://www.edc.org/CCT/NDL/1998/lessonplans/98lpmain.html }
{ For the Edison Cluster, see: }
{ http://edisoncluster.phillynews.com - }
{ I'm responsible for the Population page! }
{ Need a place to get help with your computer? }
{ See this Computer Club Web Site: }
{ http://www.pacsnet.org/index.shtml }