Re: insulting ads

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 15:13:07 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Re: insulting ads

The newer browsers (Netscape Navigator's newer versions, anyway) now have
"most popular" sites pre-programmed so that if you enter just "whitehouse"
in the address box you get <http://www.whitehouse.gov> (The White House
website) instead of <http://www.whitehouse.com> (an "over 18" site). I
think this started with Netsapce Navigator 4.5. Might be a good reason to
update your school's browsers over the summer.

Betty

At 09:36 AM 7/13/99 -0700,
  Carolyn Karis <ckari@URBANSCHOOL.ORG> wrote:

>Dear all,
>I had a similar experience but not with Excite.
>
>The problem seems to be with search word choices and being careful about the
>choice of .com vs .org and .gov
>
>It's important to include the correct domain ending. Some browsers will
>automatically assign the .com to the URL search and so create problems.
>
>Our students had located a great map on the USGS.gov site. When another
>student wanted to relocate that site he typed in www.usgs (without the .gov)
>and got a porno site. Seems that porno web people tend to co-opt the great
>sites like White House and USGS and turn them from a .gov site to a porno
>.com site.
>
>All of this points to the need for teachers to teach search techniques.
>Carolyn Karis

   Elizabeth L. Brown, Reference Librarian, etc.
   National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/VC(1330)
   Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-1330
   ebro@loc.gov telephone: 202/707-2235

   Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
   http://memory.loc.gov/