: Chautauquas and Students

From: Christopher Langley (WstrnMooV@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 23:45:27 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Christopher Langley <WstrnMooV@AOL.COM>
Subject: : Chautauquas and Students

Seeing the interest in Chautauquas, I thought I would share our project. Our
town had a visit from the group in Reno (He did Mulholland who stole our
water for LA, accompanied by two of Mulholland real granddaughters.) The
professor accompanying the performer encouraged us to take on a Chautauqua
project with our students.
Now for a quarter they study a person from history, create a simple costume,
develop a talk as the person, and answer questions in character. Then they
step out of character and talk about their historical research. It has been
so successful that it is done in our 6th,7th and 8th grade classes each
year. Coaching is a very important part of it, and since we have 6-7
multi-age history classes, the 7th graders help the 6th along their first
time. We give them a simple packet, a timeline to use in developing the
presentation, a rubric for scoring etc. to help structure the process.
We also have a professional Chautauqua if possible through our County Council
for the Arts and the Council for the Humanities. This year Pio Pico, an
early governor of California visited and was excellent.
Chris Langley
Lone Pine, CA