Re: Racism and the U.S.

From: Ron Stoloff (rstoloff@MAIL.PHILA.K12.PA.US)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 20:11:46 EDT

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Ron Stoloff <rstoloff@MAIL.PHILA.K12.PA.US>
Subject: Re: Racism and the U.S.

At 01:22 PM 5/2/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Ron:
>
>You'll have to excuse me, but somehow I don't think this list is the right
place to
>discuss the merits of what's going on in Kosovo, whether or not the United
States
>pursues racist policies, or anything of the type.
>
>> There has always been that feeling that the US - and Europe - only
freaks out
>> when white folk are getting it.
>
>That's a very strong statement. Some of your other pronouncements -- about
>publicity, about Somalia and West Africa -- are equally as forceful. I don't
>happen to agree with you. But is this the place to discuss these things?
I value
>this list for the many things I've learned about using the LoC resources
in the
>classroom, but I don't look here for debates about events that are current
here or
>abroad. There are *many* listservs and other places, both on and off
line, where
>one's opinions on these matters are welcome. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>Arnold,

*I'm* not the one who wrote the first item, I was just responding to a
question from Monica.

I chose not to just let it lay there as I felt it required a response as it
posed one of the major questions facing the US and the world today: what do
we do when we see evil on the march - go 'tsh, tsh!' or stop the evil doer.

Ever hear of the poem, 'The Hangman?' and the concept that all that is
necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing?

That's my point. You didn't want to see it, don't read it.

BTW, I'm not usually this hostile; it's just that slaugthering innocent
people in great numbers and/or driving them from their homes tends to
irritate me.

So *excuse me*!

Ron Stoloff

If the gods had intended Man to fly, they wouldn't have given us railroads!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
{ Check out these web sites: }
{ In the Library of Congress, see: }
{ Immigration/Migration - under construction! }
{ http://www.edc.org/CCT/NDL/1998/lessonplans/98lpmain.html }
{ For the Edison Cluster, see: }
{ http://edisoncluster.phillynews.com - }
{ I'm responsible for the Population page! }
{ Need a place to get help with your computer? }
{ See this Computer Club Web Site: }
{ http://www.pacsnet.org/index.shtml }