Re: What gives? Classroom Connect

From: Frances F. Jacobson (francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 16:19:22 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Frances F. Jacobson" <francey@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Re: What gives? Classroom Connect

Susan, thanks, your response is really illuminating and helpful.
"Value-added" is the key here. It's interesting to think that it might
take the private sector to help with some of the unfinished things. I'm
thinking especially about the "data cards" and the AM items that have no
cataloging data -- and would never have any descriptive data if some other
entity didn't come along to supply it. My secret if-I-won-the-lottery
fantasy is to have the WPA life histories cataloged, because it just isn't
going to happen in anyone's regular budget lifetime.

I think this project and others like it remind me that there's never one
answer, never just one way. The more hands there are in disseminating
these treasures, the better. The other thing this is making me realize is
that we current and past Fellows (or at least me!) have strong attachments
to American Memory, possibly bordering on feelings of the proprietary.
It's almost embarrassing to admit.

Frances