Just a little update

From: Kathleen Ferenz (kferenz@SFSU.EDU)
Date: Sat Feb 06 1999 - 10:32:14 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: Kathleen Ferenz <kferenz@SFSU.EDU>
Subject: Just a little update

Hello Everyone,
I notice that there has been a wonderful flurry of e-mail on the list. I
really enjoy watching the interactions, the updates, the personal opinions,
but I find myself responding to you all "in my head" more often than
visually here on the list. Many of the announcements from this list have
shaped the direction of my career. This time I have two new developments to
share with you too.

First, if you remember back more than a year ago (is that too long?) a job
opening for the Bay Area National Digital Library project (BANDL) came
through this list. I applied and got the job. It is a research and
development project funded by the Hewlett Foundation to support research in
K-12 schools. It is a project that provides close classroom coaching,
curriculum development opportunities, and training on the structured use of
information technology and primary source materials. I have been working
with 3 schools in the Bay Area, and we have been finding wonderful uses for
the materials in American Memory in grades 4th through 12th grades. I work
with 16 teachers. We also have a librarian network of 16 librarians, and
Cathy Johnson (1998 Fellow) is also a member. We have developed our own
lessons (which will come to the web this spring) and we use YOUR lessons.
We are going to expand to 20 Bay Area Schools this spring. FYI the request
for applications is on our website at http://www.wested.org/basrc/bandl/.
We will be accepting applications from teacher and librarian teams for a
residential summer institute at San Francisco State University. Sound
familiar? We will partner with San Francisco Digital High Schools and the
Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley which has a fantastic online collection of
primary source materials available from their collection. I will be looking
for online mentors later this spring. If you think you are interested,
please contact me in e-mail.

Second, Judy put out the call for papers for the American Association of
History and Computing. I applied and I will be presenting my paper this
spring in Philadelphia. The clever and original title might give away the
content. "The Bay Area National Digital Library Project and the Library of
Congress: Enriching History Classes with Digitized Primary Source
Material" (http://www.bnpages.com/history/gmsmith/ferenz.html) Are any of
you going to attend the event? I'd love to meet up with you again.

Finally, to you all, keep up the communication. I really enjoy reading the
interactions.
Cheers to you all,
Kath
(1997 Fellow)

*****************
Kathleen Ferenz

Instructor, San Francisco State University
Department of Instructional Technology
message: 415-338-1508
http://itec.sfsu.edu/faculty/kferenz.html

Project Director, Bay Area National Digital Library (BANDL)
c/o Bay Area School Reform Collaborative
voice mail: 415-241-2797
FAX: 415-241-2746
kferenz@wested.org
http://www.wested.org/basrc/bandl/