Re: Search Our Site (not just the collections)

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 29 1998 - 17:54:43 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
Subject: Re: Search Our Site (not just the collections)

Kathleen and others,

Oops, Did I really click on the "send" button?

The Search Our Site page was having some problems finding American Memory
pages for the past few weeks. THAT has been corrected.

On other fronts, the Library's website has been pretty slow the past few
weeks. It usually, comes through for those who are patient enough (but not
always). Networking staff are working on this.

Some general tips -- reminders for you all:

Searches from within single collectins are always faster than across the
collections because cross-collection searches search the datafiles in
series (30-some files and growing). Single medium searches (i.e.
photographs) are somewhere between .

Searching from the search box on the American Memory home page
<http://memory.loc.gov/> should net the same results as searching from the
cross-collection search page <http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mdbquery.html>.
I always recommend the search page for the help file links. This one
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mdbnote.html>, for example, tells you what you
*cannot* search and other exceptions. There's another search help page
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/find.html> on the Learning Page .
It's linked to the bottom of the "search guides" page.

Good luck. And yes, please report any problems. Also, let us know, in
advance, of any really big programs you're doing and we can give the
networking folks a heads-up. Maybe they'll postpone a re-indexing or
something. We've already thought of NCSS.

Betty Brown

----

Elizabeth L. Brown, M.L.S. National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/VC(1330) Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-1300 ebro@loc.gov telephone: 202/707-2235

Library of Congress American Memory Home Page: http://memory.loc.gov/ _________________________________________________________