A growing body of research shows that proactive support of students’ social and emotional development (SEL) and mental health contribute to positive outcomes in many parts of their lives, including academic achievement, health, and career readiness. But while many school districts are recognizing the need to provide SEL and mental health supports, they do not always have access to the training, resources, and infrastructure to do so systemically.
To address this challenge, EDC is partnering with Transforming Education and the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to offer the SEL & Mental Health Academy. The academy is helping schools and districts across Massachusetts develop multi-tiered systems of support—classroom instruction, small-group support, and individualized care—that are effective, culturally sensitive, and sustainable.
The academy’s activities include the following:
- Offer annual institutes that prepare participants to design and implement SEL and mental health supports
- Provide monthly online and in-person interactive learning that bolsters participants’ content knowledge
- Provide customized technical assistance to support teams in developing and implementing SEL and mental health supports
- Offer a curated collection of tools and resources through the academy’s Web portal
- Train and support 20–25 teams of 5–10 professionals each from schools across Massachusetts in developing programs that will affect hundreds of students