The ITEST (Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers ) Learning Resource Center at EDC held a convening to develop a theoretical research framework to guide future research on youth motivation in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), with a particular emphasis on populations most underrepresented in the STEM workforce.
Participants focused on two guiding questions:
- What is currently known about motivation in STEM for underrepresented youth?
- What can be done to cultivate new research around STEM motivation for underrepresented youth?
Anticipated results include the following:
- Development of new working relationships among participants
- Identification of ITEST program elements that foster effective STEM motivation, career discovery, and motivation
- Understanding of how ITEST impacts youth motivation in STEM
Director: Sarita Nair-Pillai
Funder: National Science Foundation