The Initiative for Pediatric Palliative Care (IPPC) was launched in 1998 as a research, quality improvement, and education effort aimed at enhancing family-centered care for children living with life-threatening conditions. Using a retreat format, IPPC addresses the knowledge, attitudes, and skills that health care professionals need to better serve children and their families.
IPPC staff conduct regional educational retreats throughout the United States, offering a unique opportunity for nurses, physicians, social workers, chaplains, child life specialists, and allied health professionals to learn side-by-side with parents of children with life-threatening conditions.
The 25-hour curriculum and six-part, award-winning video series cover the following topics:
- Engaging with children and families
- Relieving pain and other symptoms
- Analyzing ethical challenges in pediatric end-of-life decision making
- Responding to suffering and bereavement
- Improving communication and strengthening relationships
Director: Carol Wood-Nutter
Funder: Client fees