EDC is creating and studying a two year professional development model for middle school mathematics teachers with an emphasis on teaching struggling math students in the areas of fractions and rational numbers.
The professional development is composed of online modules, professional learning communities, and face-to-face workshops. Each of the online modules is one week long and covers:
- Fraction sense: concepts, addition, and subtraction
- Fraction multiplication and division
- Decimal and percent operations
- Integer sense, including concepts and operations.
This project will result in a tested innovative model for professional development of mathematics teachers to help them with the critical challenge of assisting students who struggle in learning the core concepts and skills of rational numbers and integers. Deliverables will include
- The online modules
- Materials for workshop and professional learning community work
- New research instruments
- Research reports
Director: Fred Gross
Funder: National Science Foundation