Morocco’s economic fortunes are directly tied to the educational attainment of its growing workforce. But a high percentage of Moroccan children and youth do not meet basic learning requirements in literacy and numeracy, and the country’s private sector is suffering from a dearth of new graduates with in-demand skills.
EDC helped Morocco build the blueprint for a stronger future through a technical assistance partnership with the Millennium Challenge Corporation. As part of the work, EDC assessed strategies to improve education quality and economic opportunities to increase the supply of skilled labor. EDC’s work significantly contributed to a new nationwide effort to align the business and educational sectors, which is expected to benefit 2 million people by 2020.
- Conduct assessments and needs analysis regarding school infrastructure, pedagogy, and instruction; systems for education evaluation and monitoring; private-sector driven vocational training; gender planning; and labor market information systems
- Recommend strategies for improving schools’ materials and facilities, professional development, and instruction, including technology integration
- Foster innovative approaches and private sector-led vocational training models and services
- Conduct a literature review of intermediation services in Morocco and in the region
- Author a feasibility study to evaluate the usefulness of establishing a grant facility to fund private sector-led vocational training models to foster innovation, replication, and scale up