there's a virus out there...

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 13:31:02 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: there's a virus out there...

    There's a new computer virus out there. This one's been arriving by email attachment, for the past few weeks. Today I received the message from someone I know and trust to not intentionally send me a virus. Fortunately our anti-virus software is updated weekly, so the files aren't doing any damage.

    Do yourselves a favor. If you see the text shown below, DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. Being the helpful types that we are, the text makes us want to, but don't be tempted. The subject lines and attachment names vary.

    *****begin the suspicious text*****

    Hi! How are you?

    I send you this file in order to have your advice

    See you later. Thanks

    *****end the suspicious text*****

    Good anti-virus software comes with periodic updates, usually via the company's website. It's not enough to install it once. You need to install the updates to keep it working.

    Later,

    Betty