Re: Bay Area National Digital Library Fellows Project-Lessons Learned

From: Kathleen Ferenz (kferenz@SFSU.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 13:13:52 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Kathleen Ferenz <kferenz@SFSU.EDU>
    Subject: Re: Bay Area National Digital Library Fellows Project-Lessons
                  Learned

    Thanks everyone,

    FYI - One of my teams are 'fellas' coming this summer! They are from
    Pinole Vally High and have an interesting project they will work on. We
    will welcome them to our list soon.

    I thought I would share our "lessons learned" from this project. Three
    and a half years of research and development. Our teacher and librarian
    teams from 12 schools working together using digital resources have
    demonstrated the lessons learned below. Also included are lessons
    learned from our digital library partner, the Bancroft Library at the
    University of California Berkeley.:

    Documented

    Using multiple sources from digital libraries for instruction is best
    used in inquiry oriented classrooms. Inquiry oriented classrooms need
    new structures and forms of collaboration among students and the
    teacher. We call this building community. Building community in the
    classroom expressly focused on inquiry will change the look and feel of
    the learning environment by:

    o changing how students and teachers interact with each other

    o making questions as important as answers

    o requiring a diverse repetoire of instructional techniques and
    assesments by the teacher

    o making the classroom environment a welcome place for everyone to
    learn and exchange ideas

    o promoting respect, responsibility, and clear reasoning

    o engaging more students in higher order thinking skills

    o allowing for more students to engage in challenging tasks and
    distribute the learning so that the knowledge is not held by one
    person, but created collaboratively by many

    o allowing students to make meaningful connections between the content
    and their lives

    Curriculum development matters when using materials from digital
    libraries. A coherent curriculum helps everyone understand how all the
    pieces fit together. When teachers work together and with their
    librarian to develop an inquiry-based curriculum it:

    o aligns what is actually taught in the classroom to standards

    o organizes learning with focus questions not just the content

    o effectively aligns classroom strategies that engage students of
    diverse interests and abilities

    o builds teacher quality as they work together to plan and reflect on
    student results

    o ensures equity to high standards with public accountability

    o transforms teaching from an isolated role to a professional practice

    School librarians are teacher leaders who can help teachers in their
    school design standards-based curriculum that goes beyond the textbook
    to use multiple sources of information. They can:

    o help identify new ways to use digital resources with students in
    their learning

    o design digital pathfinder web pages to support teacher and student
    research and inquiry

    o be recognized as a resource to the whole school and therefore central
    to the reform effort

    When diverse groups of teachers come together to work over time within
    a professional learning community, they can support each other, despite
    dissimilar school contexts, with profound results. Professional
    learning communities can support teacher innovation, experimentation,
    and reflection. Being a member of the K-12 Digital Fellows Learning
    Community:

    o influenced how curriculum is developed

    o changed how teachers view and use standards

    o increased the capacity and desire to learn to use inquiry more
    broadly in design and delivery of classroom lessons

    o developed new forms of collaboration between the librarian and
    teachers

    o facilitated new forms of collaboration between teachers from diverse
    disciplines

    o helped identify new ways to use digital resources with students in
    their learning

    o increased the capacity of the librarian to become a resource to the
    whole school

    o advocated for increased awareness and developed new skills in
    teaching new forms of literacy such as information literacy, visual
    literacy, and multimedia literacy

    o introduced a site-based coaching model to support innovative uses of
    digital materials in curriculum development and classroom teaching that
    utilizes the information resource skills of the librarian

    The use of primary historical resources (whether real or digital) in
    classrooms fosters inquiry and innovative teaching strategies because
    these raw materials provoke so many questions. Primary resources
    available online via digital archives require another layer of learning
    by teachers and students. As a primary resources provider, the Bancroft
    Library has learned that we must minimize the difficulties of using a
    digital archive, by:

    o designing the archive with novice users in mind; helping people get
    right to the images and texts they're looking for, without prior
    knowledge of archives

    o providing curriculum tools (visual literacy strategies, information
    literacy tools, lesson plans, etc.) that help teachers & students use
    primary resources effectively

    o finding out what topics are most important to teachers and students,
    to help us direct funding towards digitizing the "right stuff"

    o providing ways to point users to related textual, graphical, and
    audio materials in our own and other digital archives

    Best,

    Kath (class of '97)

    </bigger></fontfamily>>Hear, hear!!!!!

    >I was honored to participate in the BANDL Institute last summer. They

    >really shaped up a model of what education can be.

    >Kudos and cheers for my AMF '97 partner, Kathleen Ferenz. We, at the

    >Library of Congress, were sooooo sorry we couldn't be there. (Up to

    >our necks in this year's Summer Institutes).

    >Leni

    >Class of '97

    >>Dear American Memory Fellows,

    >>What an event, AND what leaders! I've just been to the "Digital
    Curriculum

    >>Expo" that Kath Ferenz (BANDL Project Director) and Lynn Jones (Cal
    Heritage

    >>Project Director) put together during ALA/SF. The inquiry-based
    projects

    >>were spectacular---student work, teacher-librarian collaborations,
    primary

    >>resources---it was all there. As many school librarians struggle
    with the

    >>inevitable problems, this group has put it together. Take a look
    (and

    >>scroll down to "Showcase" for individual projects).

    >>http://basrc.org/bandl/

    >>Debbie Abilock

    >>Curriculum Coordinator

    >>Director of Technology and Library

    >>The Nueva School

    >>6565 Skyline Blvd.

    >>Hillsborough, CA 94010

    >>debbie@nuevaschool.org

    >>http://www.nuevaschool.org

    >>Editor, Knowledge Quest

    >>http://www.ala.org/aasl/kqweb/index.html

    >>dabilock@pacbell.net (KQ)

    >>"It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin barefoot

    >>irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is
    known,

    >>but to question it." (Jacob Bronowski)

     Kathleen Ferenz

     kferenz@sfsu.edu