Quilts, and teaching teachers...and thanks to Bill

From: Debbie Abilock (debbie@nuevaschool.org)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 18:38:56 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Debbie Abilock <debbie@NUEVASCHOOL.ORG>
    Subject: Quilts, and teaching teachers...and thanks to Bill

    Hi All,
    I've been submerged from this list for a while...

    ...but busy with primary sources, of course.

    We're going to teach a curriculum using quilts as icons of culture over
    time...looking at 5 time periods (Pioneers, Civil War, Turn of the Century,
    WW I, the Depression) and one culture (Amish). It's with second graders so
    it will be interesting...

    I'm also teaching preservice teachers about primary sources tomorrow.
    Here's the structure I'm using:
    http://nuevaschool.org/~debbie/library/outreach/outreach.html (then click
    on "Teaching with Primary Sources"). Thanks to Bill Talley for the shockwave
    link below which immediately became part of the lessons!!

    Debbie Abilock
    TLC (Technology, Library, Curriculum) Coordinator
    The Nueva School
    6565 Skyline Blvd.
    Hillsborough, CA 94010
    debbie@nuevaschool.org
    http://www.nuevaschool.org
    Editor, Knowledge Quest
    http://www.ala.org/aasl/kqweb/index.html
    dabilock@pacbell.net (KQ)

    "It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin barefoot
    irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known,
    but to question it." (Jacob Bronowski)