From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 11:11:34 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: Responses to lesson

    Fellows,

    Just want to let you know that people out there ARE finding your lesson plans and appear to be using them. Here is an example that must be more than a coincidence:

    In the latest batch of lesson plans to go online is an American Memory companion to "To Kill A Mockingbird" by 1998 fellows, Kathleen Prody and Nicolet Whearty from Montana. Since the beginning of the month, our reference service has received five messages related to the book or the lesson. In five years, prior to this month, the Learning Page has not received a single questions about this book

    Here's who wrote:
    NJ: teacher
    NC: teacher
    Los Angeles, CA, 8th grade student
    Vancouver, BC, 12th grade student
    Singapore, 4th year secondar student

    No doubt, many more folks are using the lesson without writing. And the students all wrote with questions about the book, not the lesson. One wrote seeking ideas for a comparative literature writing assignment - one of my personal favorites, the fiction-into-film paper.

    Later,
    Betty