Inservice ideas

From: Gigi Lincoln (mlincoln@REMC12.K12.MI.US)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 09:21:11 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Gigi Lincoln <mlincoln@REMC12.K12.MI.US>
    Subject: Inservice ideas

    This message is being sent out on the listserv with the hope that recent
    American Memory Fellows and past fellows from 1997-1999 will have some ideas
    to share with us.

    Scott Durham and I will have an excellent opportunity to work on American
    Memory with fellow Lakeview High School (Battle Creek, MI) teachers in
    January. We have been approved to lead a workshop on Martin Luther King Day
    and to meet with teachers on two follow-up afternoons. The purpose of this
    workshop will be to guide our teachers in development of instructional units
    that draw upon American Memory resources and that are also created according
    to the Unit Design model. Lakeview Schools have officially adopted Unit
    Design and all teachers are receiving training in this model. Scott and I
    were in fact able to write up our WWI lesson according to the district's
    Unit Design template.

    Have any fellows had a similar experience of offering a two-day training?
    What suggestions do you have for structuring this time and making the
    experience productive and enjoyable for teachers? We should have a
    manageable number of participants - hopefully no more than 20 teachers. We
    will work in a new lab with projection device, good Internet connection and
    enough computers for everyone. Judy Graves has been very helpful in pointing
    out some of the Library's online workshop materials and in reminding us not
    to overlook the orientation activities that we
    used last summer.

    If you are not familiar with the Unit Design model, I can provide some brief
    background. Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins collaborated on a recent book,
    Understanding by Design (ISBN: 0-87120-313-8). An ERIC abstract offers the
    following summary of Understanding by Design:

    "This book explores ways to design courses and units to emphasize
    understanding and uncoverage rather than coverage, offering practical
    solutions for teacher-designers. It focuses on a different use for
    performance assessment, concluding that performance is the key to assessing
    understanding. The book analyzes the logic of backward design as an
    alternative to coverage and activity-oriented plans. Designing for
    understanding begins with what teachers want students to be able to do and
    proceeds to the evidence they will accept to prove that students have
    learned it. Only then does it turn to how students will learn it. Along the
    way, teachers must be clear about how they want students to understand and
    what they mean by understanding. The book proposes a multifaceted approach,
    with the six facets of understanding (explanation, interpretation,
    application, perspective, empathy, and self-knowledge). The facets combine
    with backward design to provide a practical framework for designing
    curriculum, assessment, and instruction. After an introduction, there are 11
    chapters: (1) What Is Backward Design? (2) What Is a Matter of
    Understanding? (3) Understanding Understanding, (4) The Six Facets of
    Understanding, (5) Thinking Like an Assessor, (6) How Is Understanding
    Assessed in Light of the Six Facets? (7) What Is Uncoverage? (8) What the
    Facets Imply for Unit Design, (9) Implications for Organizing Curriculum,
    (10) Implications for Teaching, and (11) Putting it All Together: A Design
    Template."

    If you have any ideas to share with us and with other fellows, please send a
    response to the listserv. We look forward to planning this inservice and to
    hearing from you.

    Thanks very much and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

    Gigi Lincoln

    ___

    Margaret Lincoln
    Lakeview HS Library