Washington Lives

From: Chris Beckmann (cbeckmann@OAKHALL.PVT.K12.FL.US)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 15:29:29 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Chris Beckmann <cbeckmann@OAKHALL.PVT.K12.FL.US>
    Subject: Washington Lives

    Fellow Fellows,

    Greetings from Florida in the aftermath of Gordon (some wind, some rain,
    drought remains). David Gehler and I are finding our teaching rhythms and
    have begun planning for our turn-of-the-century epic poem project---expected
    launch date early December, completion in mid-February.

    I just wanted to pass along a successful experience with the George
    Washington collection. I am dealing with the political crisis of the 1760s
    and conducted a search for the Stamp Act in the collection. I found two
    letters, one before and one after repeal, which paint the Virginia planter
    as an engaged political thinker influenced by Locke ("unconstitutional
    method of Taxation as a direful attack upon their [he refers to colonists in
    third person] Liberties"). The second reference is included in a business
    letter complaining about some inadequate scythes he purchased (good insight
    into 18th century hand manufacturing) in which he rejoices at the failure of
    the Stamp Act.

    This was a successful (I hope) exercise and I appreciate the site engineers
    for making this info. so readily available.

    Best of luck to all for a great year.

    Luhr Beckmann