Election Connections for Kids

From: Gail G. Petri (gpetri@RHNET.ORG)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 10:55:34 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Gail G. Petri" <gpetri@RHNET.ORG>
    Subject: Election Connections for Kids

    Hello fellow Fellows -
            Greetings from Rochester, New York. What a great week we had in DC this
    summer. I have wonderful memories of American Memory! It was my best
    educational experience EVER!
            This is my first posting ever to this list, so I hope what I've included
    below appears as text and links. That's how it looks on my screen! Doris
    Waud and I are getting started on our elections/women's voting project,
    and I've pulled together some sites that should be helpful for kids and
    teachers in our elementary schools. Some are more extensive that others,
    but quite a few are great for the younger students! In a couple of weeks
    you should also be able to access them in the Current Project section of
    our Rush-Henrietta Elementary Library Links section of our district web
    site.
            http://www.rhnet.org/dept/library/elem.index.html
                                    Gail Petri, Librarian
                                    Fyle Elementary School
                                    Rush-Henrietta CSD

            Election Connections - Election Day 2000 takes place on November 7th in
    voting booths across the country. We hope teachers, students and their
    families will use these links to learn more about the candidates who are
    running for office, the issues they stand for, and the election process
    itself. If you are not yet registered to vote, check out the link below to
    find out how! If you are registered, remember to get out and cast your
    vote on Election Day! Happy Voting!

    America Votes - This exhibit of US presidential campaign memorabilia
    illustrates the the nation’s presidential elections in letters, sheet
    music, leaflets, buttons and bumper stickers. There are also links to
    current political parties’ web sites.
            http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/americavotes/

    Election Kit 2000 - Use this Prentice Hall Election 2000 Kit to help your
    students become informed about presidential, congressional, and
    gubernatorial elections, both past and present.
            http://www.phschool.com/curriculum_support/election_kit/index.html

    Freedom Channel - Stop here for video clips, sound and text of
    presidential candidates speaking out on issues.
            http://www.freedomchannel.com

    How to Register to Vote in the United States - Find out how to register to
    vote in your state and link to forms and online registration where
    available.
            http://www.registervote.com/

    Issues 2000 - Explore and compare candidates views on leading political
    issues. Includes 18 student oriented activities, candidate biographies and
    lots more.
            http://www.issues2000.org/

    PBS Kids Democracy Project - Online activities including How Does
    Government Affect Me, President For a Day and Inside the Voting Booth are
    designed for students if grades three to six. Lesson plans are included.
            http://www.pbs.org/democracy/kids/index.html

    Presidency 2000 - This comprehensive site provides information about and
    links to sites for all parties, candidates and issues for the 2000
    Elections.
            http://www.politics1.com/p2000.htm

    Project Vote Smart - Check out this extensive source of political
    information, election candidates, voter issues, voting records and much
    more.
            http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml

    Scholastic Special Report Election 2000 - This extensive site includes
    news reports from kids who attended the conventions, info on the
    candidates, and a place to read up on the biggest issues.
            http://teacher.scholastic.com/newszone/specialreport/

    Time For Kids/Election Connection - Get election news, learn about the
    candidates, and voice your opinions on the upcoming elections at this
    election site created just for kids.
            http://www.timeforkids.com/TFK/electconnect/

    Yahooligans - The Big Picture - Presidential Election 2000 - Stop here to
    find news, stories, opinions, editorials and web sites related to the 2000
    election.
            http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/Yahooligans/Presidential_Election

    Youth-e-Vote Net - Schools can register classes to participate in a
    national online youth vote. Even if you don’t register, there are great
    links to voting information, candidates, issues and election related
    games.
            http://www.youthevote.net/student.shtml