Re: Bonnie and Bonnie's husband's Broadway show

From: Mike Goldberg (mgoldber@BELL.K12.CA.US)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 18:56:45 EDT

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@SUN8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Mike Goldberg <mgoldber@BELL.K12.CA.US>
    Subject: Re: Bonnie and Bonnie's husband's Broadway show

    Hi Sara,
    I'm posting to the listserv instead of replying directly as I thought
    others might not only enjoy my pearls of wisdom but might have some
    additional ideas on developing a high impact, sexy, internot CD based
    presentation. Here are my three ideas;
    1) location, location, location - pre-guess your audience's interests and
    focus on them
    2) gather THE EXACT SAME equipment (including the video projector) and
    software that you plan to use for the demo and take it home on a weekend
    and practice the presentation more than once and SCRIPT AND TIME IT! Unless
    you have one of those photogenic memories, this CD is way too complicated
    to use "off the cuff" - that is courting disaster! Have one person talk and
    the other cue from an annotated or highlighted copy of the web site map.
    3) the more different media types we focused into one lesson, the more they
    applauded. Remember that students (and school boards) have different
    learning modalities and the great thing about AMC is the multiple types of
    media you can call up and focus onto a single topic. Stack the deck - have
    some pre-printed (color) sheet music, broadsides, maps and/or posters on
    the topic you will demo. Show them the web page and then hand them the
    'realia' (love that word). Open a new browser window with each new item you
    bring up for view on one topic and arrange them like a collage, including
    the video clips and music players. Take a laptop with LOTS of memory and
    set the application memories HIGH - especially the browser.

    If you actually want my best suggestions, you'll have to buy my book! No
    just kidding!

    We set the audience up by telling them we had buckets of cold water placed
    around the room because we knew how excited they were going to get - and
    they did - but we didn't. If you're gonna wow a school board, be prepared
    for success! Have a printed plan of what you want them to do and how much
    it's going to cost them (ie; lots of teacher training with snacks and 11x17
    color inkjet printers sprinkled liberally around the schools). Have a line
    for them to sign on! Good luck. This done right is like shooting fish in a
    barrel!
    Bonnie's husband, Mike