Re: picture of Homer Plessy

From: Cindy Stout (cstout@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 14:40:34 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Cindy Stout <cstout@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US>
    Subject: Re: picture of Homer Plessy

    Carolyn,

    I don't know about a picture of Plessy, but the mandate of the Supreme
    Court to the Louisiana Supreme Court to deny Plessy's request to
    overturn the law can be found (along with background info and teaching
    strategies) in the Archives Teaching with Documents - Volume 1 pages
    69-72. It also cites Records of the Supreme Court, RG 267, Plessy v.
    Ferguson, 163 #15248 as the location of the case records.

    Is there someone "out there" who can help me with my current dilemma?
    I'm looking for an archive of primary source documents having to do with
    science. For example, one of the documents I do have describes 19th
    century understanding of body systems (digestive processes - "St.
    Martin's Stomach") and kids can compare that with what we know about
    digestion today. Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Cynthia Stout