Re: Need book suggestions

From: Marta Brooks (marta@BIGSKY.NET)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 13:55:04 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: Marta Brooks <marta@BIGSKY.NET>
    Subject: Re: Need book suggestions

    Hi Betty-I can't remember the title, but I purchased a handy reference book
    from the gift shop at the LOC that describes the research process. It's on
    how to research in the Library of Congress. It is most valuable. So good,
    in fact, I loaned it to a colleague. Another good book since some of your
    Fellows use oral history or local history projects is Donald Ritchie's
    <Doing Oral History> He is the Associate Senate Historian in your town and
    he's done a wonderful job in this book written for high school students and
    teachers. He began his career doing research at the LOC too!(Peter Bartis'
    Folklife oral history pamphlet-I know it's on-line and a bit antique with
    the photos, but it's full of useful tidbits too) You've probably already
    purused the bibliographic suggestions at the end of the Fellows' lessons to
    get ideas of what teachers are using in their classrooms. What a wonderful
    idea you've got there with a study room and on site training. I love it.
    Such an uplifting atmosphere. Have a good weekend. Marta