Need book suggestions

From: Elizabeth L. Brown (ebro@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 10:19:59 EST

    Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
    Poster: "Elizabeth L. Brown" <ebro@LOC.GOV>
    Subject: Need book suggestions

    Hello folks,

    Last spring we renovated the Digital Library Visitors' Center and renamed
    it the National Digital Library Learning Center. This means we have a
    space on-site to hold the institute portion of the 2000 AMF Program. In
    addition to the theater, which you may recall, we now have a 16-seat
    classroom with another large screen, and other spaces where fellows can
    work. (We'll be splitting the on-site part into two groups this year so
    that fellows will have a little elbow room.)

    One advantage to having the institute on-site is that we can have reference
    books and other materials, on hand for this summer's fellows to use. I've
    put together a small staff library in the Learning Center, which consists
    of materials purchased by the NDL or charged out from the Library's general
    collections. But I know it could be better.

    Please help me to help this year's fellows by sending me your
    recommendations of library titles that you think would be useful to have on
    hand during the institute.

    Currently our little collection includes the 1998 Encyclopedia Americana
    (1999s are in reading rooms), some American history titles, some technology
    books, plus a group of LC publications. Let me know about your favorite
    history, technology, and education-related titles, and any other works that
    you think would good this year's fellows to have right on hand. I'd like
    our four bookcases full of useful titles by July 1, so I want to get
    started now, in case (time intensive) purchases are required.

    Please do not assume that I already know about any title you might
    recommend. If your favorite titles are already selected, I'll make sure to
    keep them in. Also, if several people suggest the same title, then I'll
    know its worth extra effort to acquire.

    Send your suggestions either to me (ebro@loc.gov) and I'll summarize to the
    list, or just send them to the list for all to see. I'll bet you fellow
    fellows would be interested to know what secondary sources you wouldn't
    want to be without.

    Thanks.

    Betty

       Elizabeth L. Brown
       Automated Reference Services Librarian
       National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/LC(1330)
       Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20540-1330
       ebro@loc.gov telephone: 202/707-2235

       Library of Congress American Memory Home Page:
       http://memory.loc.gov/