AM Writers' Guide

From: Judith K. Graves (jgrav@loc.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 08:35:13 EST

Sender: American Memory Fellows <AMFELLOWS@RS8.LOC.GOV>
Poster: "Judith K. Graves" <jgrav@LOC.GOV>
Subject: AM Writers' Guide

Hi Everyone, and Season's Greetings,
Below is an announcement about the AM Writers' Guide that's being made
available to the public. This is what we follow everytime we create a web
page. I thought the Fellows who are thinking about preparing their lessons
for us might be interested in what we look at when we work with others to
prepare content for our website.

But - a word of comfort - don't read this thinking that it means you have
to prepare your material without guidance or strong support. That's NOT
true. We'll be with you every step of the way from the moment you have a
draft to its launch on the site. So, write to me as your draft starts to
jell. My job is to help you present your lesson so that any educator who
comes upon it on the Learning Page will be able to read it, find your
resources with the click of a mouse, try it .... and teach happily ever
after!

Happy holidays to all,
Judy
ps-by the time Christmas break is over, the Y2000 application will be
ready. More news after the first of the year.
*********
The Library of Congress National Digital Library Program (NDLP) has made
available on its program documentation page, Background Papers and
Technical Information, a guide to the writing and editorial policies and
practices of the NDLP entitled “The NDLP Writer’s Handbook.”

 http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedit/handbook/

The handbook is intended to serve the needs of Library of Congress staff

and consultants involved in creating the introductory material (known as

the collection framework) that accompanies the American Memory
collections
offered on the World Wide Web. It was developed, written, and designed
as an
online document with links to examples from American Memory and
elsewhere.
The Library hopes that making its "NDLP Writer's Handbook" publicly
available will benefit others working on similar Web projects.

The contents of the handbook include sections on writing and style, the
editorial process, and references for editorial support. Subsections
detail instances where NDLP house style for online presentation differs
from conventional publishing norms. The handbook represents the
collaborative work of many staff members of the NDLP and other Library
of Congress
divisions. It will continue to evolve in accordance with needs of the
program.

Please send all comments and questions about the handbook and other
parts
of American Memory to: ndlpcoll@loc.gov

Judith K. Graves
Educational Services